Blizzard of 1978


Picture from the Blizzard of '78

I survived the blizzard of 1978. For those not old enough to remember, the blizzard hit the Northeast with a vengeance beginning February 5, 1978 and ending on February 7, 1978. 

I was pregnant with my first child at the time.  Staying in a tiny apartment nearly drove me crazy, so as soon as I could, I was out the door, waddling down the street. (Really, at 8+ months pregnant, I waddled...even looked like a penguin with a big gray overcoat just barely covering my tummy.)

What a joy it was to walk the streets with no traffic!  Everything was covered in crystal white snow.  The sounds were muted.  The air smelled clean and crisp.  It was an experience I will never forget.

  
Enchanted Cottage - January 2011

Yesterday, we had the first real Nor'easter of the year.  Over 18 inches of snow fell in less than 24 hours.  After spending yesterday watching the world turn white outside my window, I couldn't wait to get outside this morning.  
 

Neighbor's Barn in Snow - January 2011
 
As I walked through town, I remembered the blizzard of 1978 and how the following month my life changed forever when the first of my four daughters was born...how over the past 30-plus years so many beautiful moments have stopped me in my tracks...and, how now as a grandmother of five, I still love walking in the early morning after a blizzard.

Namasté! 


Mount Sugarloaf - January 2011


Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

cardiogirl said…
I was 10 in 1978 and lived in Detroit so I'm not positive that we got that much snow, but that's the kind of snow I expect today when my kids have a snow day.

If I can't back the car out because the snow is covering the wheels of the car, then we can have a snow day.
Rev. Linda said…
Thanks for sharing your story, Cardiogirl! I laughed at how you gauged when it was a snow day. After living in the UP of Michigan and then Maine, my poor kids hardly got snow days...it had to be -40 with 60 mile an hour winds before they would shut down things! I like your method much more!

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post