Gratitude for Poem-a-Day Challenge



Once again, I am taking the Poem-a-Day (PAD)Challenge.  If you don't know what that is, visit Robert Lee Brewer.

This is the third year I have participated in the PAD challenge. What I like about the challenge is the task of writing a poem to a prompt within 24 hours.  Of course, you don't have to write the poem in that time, but I have chosen to do it as a way to hone my craft.

For years, I thought I could only write poetry when I was inspired, rather like Divine intervention. Poems would come to me without my consciously working to write.  I would literally get the entire poem in my head, scramble around to find a pen and paper and then write the poem down in its entirety. Taking the PAD challenge has given me another viewpoint.

Last year when I finished the challenge, I pulled together the poems I had written, weeded out the so-so ones and published my second book of poetry.  Gogo's Dream: Swaziland Discovered is a fundraiser for Possible Dreams International (PDI).  The profit on the sales of the book go directly to PDI. The idea to do this never would have happened had it not been for the PAD Challenge with Robert Lee Brewer's suggestion to write on one topic throughout the month.  

This year, I am simply writing poems.  If they end up being thematic, then the Muse is at work.  I am enjoying the process of writing a poem each day. 

Special Note to Teachers:  If you have been looking for multicultural poetry or if you have multicultural poetry resources, please visit PoetryEd Wiki.

Namaste!




Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post