The Dyslexic Author

 


As a child, I struggled to read aloud. I read fine silently, but when asked to share what I read, I had a difficult time articulating the story. If I read aloud without the ability to isolate words, the page looked like a jumble of letters. This was embarrassing, especially when the teacher told the class that I was an obstinate, lazy child!

Back in the late 50's and early 60's, special education was not part of the school curriculum. Children with learning difficulties or, as I like to say, different abilities, either acted out and became behavioral problems or became invisible and hoped no one would notice them. I was the latter.

Thankfully, I had a sixth-grade teacher, Sr. Ralph, who saw my talent for painting pictures with words and encouraged me to read and write. I read everything I put my hands on and taught myself how to share what I read. 

During our poetry celebration, one of my poems was placed on the wall. Sister Superior commented on its beautiful images. I was so proud! Sr. Ralph told me, "See, Linda, you ARE a writer!" I protested saying that I couldn't spell. Sister smiled, looked me in the eye and said, "That's what editors do, sweetheart."

Today, we have all kinds of tools to help us put our words on a page. Roger tells me all the time that I will get the Pulitzer Prize, someday. I have no such lofty aspirations. I am simply happy to be able to self-publish my writing and share it with the world.

One thing you should know about me. I do have different learning abilities. I still have trouble spelling. I use editing tools and Roger edits, as well. But, no matter, people still find typos. This initially made me feel like a failure. But then, I remembered two things I had learned.

First, in many cultures, artisans purposefully add an error to their work in the belief that only God/Spirit/Creator is perfect. Second, my Momma told me many times that aesthetics was "surface beauty." Real beauty shines from within. 

I hope that my writing will shine from within and inspire, instruct, heal, bring hope, enlighten, and educate my readers. 

I am eternally grateful for all who have supported me on this magic journey of linguistics, as well as those who see only the beauty of the words and not the errors made by a dyslexic author. 

Blessings to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post

Words as Balm - Words as Pain