Words to Hold in Our Heart

 

Last year, my word for the year was "visit."  Little did I know that 2020 was going to test my ability to re-imagine just what that meant!

Shortly after the February first of 2020, I quarantined due to my age and the fact that both Roger and I have health issues that would be problematic if we were to contract COVID.  

My last visit to anyone was with my daughters and grandchildren during February vacation.  The pictures I took then have kept me focused on the reason I am not traveling, not working outside the home and not meeting with people except outside and from a distance.

For a people person, visiting with others is like air. We need it to live. So, I became adept at "visiting" via Zoom and talking to friends outside 6 feet or more away with masks on.

I also found that visiting via snail mail was a joy I had almost forgotten. Letters to and from my grandchildren brought rays of sunshine for both Roger and I to bask in as the days got darker. In addition, weekly phone calls to family and friends once again became as routine as texting and emails. Hearing the voice on the other end of the line triggered something that made us feel happier.

 As we all await the end of 2020, I have picked my new word. I use  Word of the Year Generator. My new word will be one that can be used all through my life...every aspect...from teaching to ministry, from parenting to grandparenting and from daily duties to time with others.

My word for 2021 is "savor."  How appropriate!  Trust me, once I am able to travel to Maine again, I will savor each and every second. I will linger on the beach, I will read more books to the kids and I will sip my tea slower when visiting my friends. 

I usually wait until after midnight to ponder and practice my word for the year, but this year, I am starting tonight.  I will savor the time with Roger as we welcome the New Year into our home. Mindfully, I will spend January 1st reflecting on all our blessings.

Most of all, I will savor all the love that has blessed my life from all around the world - from family and friends, some of whom I have never met, yet who are as precious to me as if we grew up together. 

Many blessing to all on this dawning of a new year with new opportunities to create a world filled with hope, peace and joy. 

Namaste!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post