Things Are Not as They Appear


My decision to write a post about fibromyalgia isn't to start a pity party. I am writing in the hopes that this will bring some awareness to how conditions such as fibromyalgia, MS, endometriosis, migraine and a host of other disease/conditions are not obvious. The victim doesn't "look" ill, and yet, they may be doing all they can to put one foot in front of the other without screaming.

I have fibromyalgia. This was diagnosed close to 25 years ago after years of being in pain and having mysterious symptoms that the medical field could not diagnose. When I was given the diagnosis two things happened.  First, I began learning everything I could about this condition and how to keep it from taking over my life. Second, I promised myself I would not let this condition get in my way.

I will tell you, this has not been easy.  For years, I was told I was either lying about my pain to seek attention or I was a  hypochondriac.  I am neither. 

Since I was six years old, I have had random pain throughout my body. I found out at 50-something that one of the reasons was the fact that I had all the childhood diseases (except Tentanus and Polio) with a 6-7-month period. I had chickenpox and mumps together, not to mention almost dying of measles with a temperature of 107 degrees.  My immune system was shot, but no one understood this back in the 1960's. 

With little understanding of the pain and chronic illness that ravaged my body, I simply did the best I could to make everyone happy around me. I was the poster girl for oldest daughter of alcoholic parents. (Another factor in the cause of fibromyalgia - childhood abuse/neglect. Abuse does not have to be physical...it can be mental, emotional or spiritual.)

Over the years, I became what one counselor called, "a tenacious survivor." Despite all the dysfunction, I had many blessings. My mother, in spite of, or maybe because of her problems, taught me to see the beauty in the world, even when things got darkest. My dad taught me that you could overcome any obstacle if you worked hard. He remained sober for the last 40+ years of his life and helped many along the way. I was blessed with teachers who saw my gifts and helped me to develop them. 

Today, I am beginning the first of several posts about silent illnesses that cause the person with them not only pain and suffering, but also jobs, relationships and the simple joys of life.  I will share how I attempt to stay in balance and how what works for me may not work for others. 

If you have someone in your life with one of these silent illnesses/diseases/syndromes...give them a hug, tell them how much you love them and remind them that they are amazing. Support of family and friends is one of the bests boost to maintaining balance!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post