The Teacher in Me


There are certain things as a teacher that I can't help doing. I knew these things for years before I got my teaching degree, but in taking coursework to get my M.Ed., what I knew was affirmed.  

I knew that being kind was essential to having a life that was truly successful. Kindness was one of the easiest things you can give to others.

I learned that to lead well a person must be willing to share - share the work, share the praise, and share the bounty. However, he or she also needs to take responsibility, which means that "the buck stops here." When there is fault to be found, a good leader takes responsibility for what has gone wrong and does not pass it on to others, even when they may also be at fault.

One of the most important things I learned, though, was to always question. By questioning, we learn. Therefore, I try not to take things at face value. I ask myself a series of questions. 
  • Who said/did that?
  • What was it that they said or did?
  • When did this happen?
  • Where can I find proof?
  • Why did they say or do it?
  • How do I verify it?
Not only did I learn that I must have at least three sources to share information in a research paper, later, when I worked as a journalist, this was a rule I employed in my writing.
So, if I question a post on social media, if I validate a quote, if I check Snopes to see if something is true, it is the teacher in me, doing what comes natural. I am not trying to hurt or criticize others, I am simply teaching. 

For example: Abraham Lincoln is often attributed with a series of quotes, which were actually made by Presbytarian minister, William John Henry Boetcker (1873–1962). This has been something that has happened for many years because there are numerous articles correcting famous people when they misidentify the author of the quote. 

I look for reliable evidence. Here are several sources:

  1.  https://www.nytimes.com/1992/08/19/news/republicans-in-houston-for-the-record-reagan-put-words-in-lincoln-s-mouth.html
  2. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/its-a-welcome-moment-when
  3. http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/cannot.htm
  4. http://manuscripts.ptsem.edu/collection/231
~~~~~

If one more person is kind, if one more person shares their bounty, if one more person takes responsibility, if one more person asks a question or searches for verification, I know I have done my job.

Blessings to all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post