Lazy, Hazy Days of Summer

 The porch is a great place to just sit on hot summer days.
Photo Credit: Roger Rhinehart

The first time I heard the phrase, "Lazy, Hazy Days of Summer," I wasn't sure why summer days would be called "lazy," when everywhere there is activity, especially if you live by a river, lake, or the ocean.  But, such are the ideas of a young person.

Now as I travel through my 59th summer, I realize that when the temperatures reach over 90 degrees, the body just doesn't want to work.  My mind is saying, "Go weed the garden, then cut the shrubs, then write, then..." but my body is saying, "Whoa there!  We're not doing anything but sit in front of the fan!"

All kidding aside, when the temperatures get this high, I think of the thousands of people who have no fan, no relief from the heat.  I think of people who have not experienced high temperatures before and do not know that they must stay hydrated. My heart goes out to the babies, who inevitably teeth at this time of year...nothing makes them happy, poor dears.  And, I remember being nine and a half months pregnant during the hottest summer the Upper Peninsula of Michigan had up to that time.

Fortunately, this too shall pass.  In a few months, we will be shocked at how cold it has gotten.  The seasons change...and each has its beauty and glory.

As you pass through these hazy, lazy days, may you find respite from the heat.  May your body be quenched by cold, clear water and your heart be quenched by those you love.

Namasté!

Comments

BECKY said…
Hello Linda~
What beautiful words....just as the name of your blog "Words from the Heart." Just the other day I thought of those summery words myself and I always then remember Nat King Cole's record, "Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer!" Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
Pat Wahler said…
It's sizzling here, too! We stopped by to say hello from Becky's blog. Nice to meet you!

Pat
Critter Alley

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post