Poem-a-day Withdrawal

National Poetry Month Display @ Forest Hills
National Poetry Month Display @ Forest Hills (Photo credit: mySAPL)
A week has past since my last Poem-A-Day prompt from Robert Lee Brewer at the Poetic Asides blog.  I must admit, I am having trouble coping with the lack of a prompt each morning!  I know it sounds silly, but, for whatever reason, I became addicted to getting up early, rushing to my computer and forcing my braincells to function.  

If you are not familiar with the Poem-A-Day challenge, it happens in April and November.  Each day, Robert expertly offers a prompt and his own poetic attempt. (A good leader always gets into the trenches with their troops!)

Some days, the prompt is so easy - like it had been waiting there just for me.  Other days, I sit staring at the computer screen wondering what Robert was thinking when he came up with the prompt in the first place.

Interestingly, I have always managed to write something.  Grant it, there are times when I wish I could have waxed more eloquently.  Those are the times I remember that even Einstein made mistakes, but it was those mistakes that got him where he needed to go.

Since this blog is about words and how they can heal and touch our lives for better or for worse, I will share with you a couple of my favorite poems from this year's challenge.  I hope you find something in them that will stir your soul.



UNEXPECTED 
  
I catch your shadow 
at the corner of my vision 
Turning, expecting your smile 
to fill the room with light - 
I am disappointed. 

Why do you hide from me? 
Why can't we commune - 
you on your plane of existence, 
me on mine? 
  
I am disappointed not to see 
completely your light. 
The thought of you makes me smile - 
the heart sees without vision. 
Lingering with your memory, 
I sit in the corner. 


THE GATE ONCE THERE 

Like St. Millay's ghost 
I walk ancient garden paths 
Bending over mint 
Yellow butterflies dancing 
Passing through what was once new 


TOMATO SOUP CAKE 
For Momma 

Back when metal scraps where collected 
to benefit the boys over there, 
during times of leg makeup and seamed stockings, 
as blackout curtains shut in the light, and faith 
shut out the fear, 
my mother learned to economize. 

No eggs – no problem! 
Grabbing a can of tomato soup, 
some flour, soda, raisins, 
stirring in some cinnamon and cloves 
to add a bit of spice to the concoction, 
she would create a treat 
any Yankee Doodle sailor would come home to. 

 
THE LOOK 

Like ducklings in a row, 
they sit, hands folded in prayer 
until the youngest begins the dance 
of all four year old, bored by the mundane. 
From the corner of her eagle-eyes, 
the mother perceives the wiggle 
A snap of the head, a look 
all action stops! 

Copyright on all poems above by Linda M. Rhinehart Neas - 2012 

Namasté!
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Emma Jordan said…
Oh Linda,
I have been feeling the same things. Now it is up to us. No prompts, no days to be present or miss, and so much life to get in the way. But I do miss it. The challenges, others' interpretations of the prompts, and the encouragement are gone for a time.

Gotta keep on writing, learning, improving.

Emma
Emma! How nice to have you visit my blog. Yes, we have to keep writing, learning and improving.

So here is a challenge - Your prompt if you decide to accept it, is to write a poem about withdrawing...any way you want to take that!

Blessings! Can't wait to see what you write!!
Brenda Marroy said…
I like all of the poems, but my favorite is Unexpected. Good work.
Thanks, Brenda! The PAD challenge is such fun. Glad you liked the poems. Blessings!

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post