Ultimate in Creativity

Nanilin and All Her Girls and Boys

Motherhood is the ultimate when it comes to creating.  The miracle of cell division into a human being is mind-boggling!  It seemed fit to end our month long look at creativity with a post on mothering.

Today, we celebrate the birthday of my oldest daughter.  She has the sole distinction of being the one through which I became known as Momma, or Ma, or Moooommmm, depending on the mood of the child speaking.

It is difficult for me to grasp that she is a thirty-something adult with two children of her own.  Often when I think of her, I picture in my mind the little girl with a pixie cut trying to grapple with little sisters.  I have to remind myself that some of my friends are the same age as she is.  How did that happen?

Being a mother calls a woman into creativity whether she realizes it or not.  (Let me state that the term "mother" is about both those who give birth and those who take a child into their heart and home through adoption.)What is more creative than a mother trying to come up with a solution that will keep her baby quiet during a church service?  Isn't it creative when a mother juggles work, home and life, finding time to bake cookies or read a book or create a way to make folding laundry a fun family event?

What a delight to watch my daughters as they discover their own creativity as mothers.  How surprising to hear my words come back to me time and again; evidence that what I said or did actually stayed with them.

Of all the creative pursuits I have participated in, none has been more rewarding, more demanding, more time-consuming, more delightful or more enjoyable than motherhood.  Thanks, Gwendolyn for giving me the title of Mom!

Namasté!
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post