Memories of Momma

 






Fifteen years have passed since Momma went to fly with the angels. Sitting here on the eve of Mother's Day, I am filled with memories of our times together. 

My first distinct memory was looking out the big window of the apartment Momma and Dad had on Comm Ave in Boston. I was only about a year old, but I remember that moment.  The next memory was when my brother Timmy was born, and I was trying to boost Barry up to see him in the bassinet. I was almost three and Barry was just two. One of the aunts caught us and shooed us away. Momma explained that we could tip the bassinet over and the baby could get hurt. I felt awful!

Over the years, Momma struggled with depression, chronic illness and more. However, she aways had a way of making everything feel like it would work out in the end. Her wisdom was sought after by many of her friends. Looking back, I sometimes wish she had taken her own advice. 

Momma could be so funny that you'd laugh so hard that you'd end up crying...or worse! She loved people and sitting around with tea, chatting. Her friends ranged in age from MY friends to "old people" in their 70's. They all thought the world of her.  In my youth, I can remember telling my friends, "Well, you live with her then!" I don't think many people knew of the tug of war we had as I aged. I became the mother, and she was the little girl with the broken heart.  

Some of my greatest joys are that Momma got to be with my girls when they were young. Their times together were filled with long walks and silliness. They loved to snuggle on Nana's lap. Another joy was that she and Dad got to see my graduate from college, something no one in my immediate family had completed. She also got to read my first professionally published article in The Boston Globe. I know this made her proud, as she was always encouraging me to go write a story. Yes, I know it was to get me out of her hair, but it was encouragement, nonetheless.

Momma never got to see me get my master's degree or be ordained. I know she was with me in spirit, but I would have loved to see her twinkling eyes and beautiful smile. 
 
Momma gave me so much that I am grateful for - my wit (which can sometimes be naughty like hers - just saying!), my love of the ocean, birds, nature, hand crafts, singing, poetry, gardening and of course, writing. 

Every time I see a sunset or sunrise, I hear her saying, "Linda, look at those colors!  Only God can paint like that!" Every time I plant pansies, I hear her telling me how much she loves their precious little faces. And, every time I look into the faces of my daughters, I see her smiling out at me. 

This is the fifteenth Mother's Day without my mother...but I'm not sad. I am filled with joy and gratitude for the special woman who I called Momma. 

Blessings to all! 



Comments

Emily Davis said…
Hi, I’m Emily Davis. For top flight deals in the US, Google Flights is your best bet. It makes tracking fares easy with alert settings for price drops. Check out Airlines Reservations Online for more tips on finding affordable airfare.

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post

Giving Thanks for Writers - Blog Hop!