Word for the year 2024


Grandmother Moon on January 1, 2024, at 7:30 AM

 Last year, my word was "reflect," which was very insightful. I did a great deal of reflection - about my life, the world, my beliefs, etc. I learned that I have very deeply rooted beliefs in justice, acceptance, and the Divine's love for all of us. I also learned that at times, I can be my own worst enemy because I let the monkey mind convince me that I am not able to do things. I am getting better at quieting this down. 

This year, my word is "grounded." Like many of the words we have in the English language, grounded has multiple meanings. This adjective can mean that you are in a state of balance and harmony, or it can mean that you are incapable of movement, as in the pilot was grounded due to fog.

Of course, I will be holding the first meaning in my consciousness as I travel this next voyage around the sun. 

Being grounded, or as some call it "earthing," takes practice and work, as does most everything we do in life.  We aren't grounded when we react to situations, when our anxieties get the best of us or when we are flushed with fear. 

Grounding in situations like those is necessary and at times, a matter of life or death. When we are grounded, we make sensible decisions. We remain calm and centered. We can see solutions and like MacGyver, use the tools at hand to do what needs to be done. 

We can become grounded by learning to breathe deeply when we are stressed. We can use strong scents, like coffee, to bring us into the here and now. Additionally, we can meditate or pray. However, these are only a few of the techniques to grounding yourself in the moment. This is an excellent video from the Mayo Clinic on grounding:  Kristin Lothman: Mindfulness & Meditation - A grounding exercise - YouTube

As I begin 2024, I plan on taking more time to breathe deeply, to be in Nature and to connect with the Divine. Happy New Year, everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post

Words as Balm - Words as Pain