My Word for 2023 - Reflect


Sitting here in the early morning hours of the first day of 2023, I will begin by reflecting on last year's words - toast and savor. (This year, my word is "reflect!") 

Last year when I hit the Word of the Year generator, I was not happy with my "inspirational" word - toast. For the first time, I hit the generator again. The second time, I got "hope." More like it, I thought.

But then, as often happens when I need to pause and think about things, I was led to check the etymology of "toast," which I was thinking of in the noun form, not the verb form. 
 
The etymology states, "toast - a call to drink to someone's health," 1690s (but said by Steele, 1709, to date to the reign of Charles II)." With the pandemic still raging, what better thing to do than to wish someone good health? 
 
During 2022, I found that I "toasted" often and with great sincerity. Many family members and friends battled with health issues. I hoped they would recover swiftly and fully. Gratefully, they all came through without too many long-lasting problems. 
 
I also had hope that this world would begin to straighten out. That hope is still present in my prayers, daily.

Jumping to 2023, "reflect" is my word for the year. I am a practiced reflector. All of my careers require careful reflection - writing, teaching, and ministry. Through these careers, I have learned that when we take time to reflect, good things can happen. We can see where we need to make changes in addition to what we have done well. This will not be a difficult word to keep in mind as I travel through the next 365 days. 
 
However, let us not forget that reflect also means "to send back light, sound, heat or an image to something without absorbing it."  Therefore, being a reflection of Light, like the Moon, is also part of this year's word. 

We can reflect the goodness, joy, love, and happiness around us, even when things are not going great. Often, that reflection is all that is needed to lift the spirits and change the mood of others. A simple smile does this. A simple smile is a life-changer!

Let us all try to reflect what is good in the world around us as we reflect on how we can make things better, heal things or accept what can't be changed. Blessings!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post