Thinking First


Over the past week, I have noticed an increase of vitriolic posts across social media. This makes my heart ache.

Our world is filled with so much pain, so much suffering, I find it impossible to understand why people feel the need to add more of the same on social media.  

My mother told me (more than once!) that if I didn't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.  I have tried to practice this throughout my life.  (I have not perfected it in any shape or form, but I try.) 

What I have learned over the years is to try and stop before I say or write something I will later regret or that might hurt others. I think mindfully about how the words I am using will sound and what meaning they may convey.  Often, I rewrite something using words that are not as inflammatory or vicious. 

I have also learned not to ever write for publication when I am full of anger. I may put down in words my feelings, but I don't share what I have written. I let it sit and defuse, if you will.  Then, when I am able to look at the situation from outside, I decide if I need to write something.

Another thing I have learned is to not make EVERYTHING a public post. If I have a bone to pick with someone, I will write them privately. As Momma would say, "No one wants to see your dirty laundry."  The beauty of keeping things private is that you can agree to disagree without having the added influence of complete strangers who seem to feel they have the right to add their two cents.  

Spreading hope, kindness, love and peace is not easy, but it does make a difference to many people who are desperate for a glimmer of Light in their lives. I would recommend we all work to think first, post later after we have thought about what is being presented to the world.

Blessings.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post