When the Heart Is Down

 



When you teach English to adult immigrants and refugees, you quickly realize that we are all connected with the same hopes and desires regardless of culture, religion, race, or gender. When you hear about the joys of your students, you celebrate with them. Likewise, when you hear of their sadness, you mourn with them.

My "heart is down and my soul is heavy" with all the pain and suffering in the world. I have dear students from all over the world with families suffering because of earthquakes, storms, fires, war, and madness. 

I pray constantly that good will conquer evil. I preach the Golden Rule faithfully. I KNOW that Love IS the answer. I also know that fear feeds evil in a way akin to how steroids feed a body but make the mind mad. 

As difficult as it is, we must continue to care for one another...to see the beauty inside each person we come in contact with during our days. We must not fall prey to hate. Like a vampire bite, hate produces more hate, and the cycle becomes endless. We must stop playing the blame game. My mother told me once when I was blaming someone for something that when I point my finger at someone in blame, I needed to remember that I have three pointing back at me.  Rather than blame, try to find a way to help.

Helping during these days of crisis can seem overwhelming as well. However, we can all do something...be it donate to a charity, volunteer for a cause or simply to pray, meditate on peace, burn sage, or light a candle. Each act is another drop in an ocean of Compassion. Each act, no matter how small, means something to someone and makes a difference.

My eyes may "speak the language of tears." But my heart and soul are singing out the Love for my siblings around the world.

Blessings to all. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post