Say the Words...But Mean Them


 How often do you say the words, "I love you," "I am sorry," "I forgive you," or "Thank you?"  Short phrases that carry so much power. These are the phrases used in the Hawaiian prayer Ho'oponopono. (Click the link to learn more about this healing practice.)

The power of these words lies in the sincerity by which they are uttered. Too often, they become pat sayings used to fill gaps in conversation or used lightly to show sentiments for which English is lacking.  Let me give you an example.

How often have you heard someone say, "Oh, I love my new car (or dress, or whatever.)"  Do they really "love" these things?  On the other hand, I know that I have said, "I'm sorry," upon hearing something for which I had not words to express the feelings I had about a situation.  Sorry wasn't the right word, but I have yet to find a word that adequately expresses my feelings when someone shares the horrors of their life.

I suppose, I could say, "That situation makes me speechless. I have no words to express to you how I feel."  But, somehow, that just doesn't seem to be the right thing to say.  And, so I stumble on...but I digress.

During the course of the day, I say, "I love you," at least 50 times. I don't use the words lightly. I say them as a reminder to the person to whom they are said and to myself that Love holds us in relationship with each other. When we genuinely Love another, we share a sacred bound that carries responsibility to honor, cherish and respect each other. 

Of course, saying the words means nothing if you don't show by your actions that you mean them. Likewise, you can demonstrate thousands of times a day that you love another but, if you don't say the words, you will never be sure they know how you feel.

The same is true for the other phrases. Forgiveness, sorrow and gratitude are all gifts we give to others and to ourselves. When saying the words - "Sorry" - "Forgive" - "Thanks" - being mindful of their meaning and the reason they are being uttered, creates a gift that blesses both the giver and receiver. Then, you have to "live" the words.

Being mindful, saying the words, and living their meaning helps us heal, grow and be our best selves. 

Blessings.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post