Hope Always Prevails

Constellations of Light - Hope Always Prevails
Photo (c) 2019 Rev. Linda M. Rhinehart Neas

From time to time, I will see or hear something that just hits my solar plexus with such power that I no longer have control of my emotions. Tears flow without my thinking. My heart fills with the beauty of the moment. At these times, I know there is something mystically magical happening.

The BBC series, Doctor Who, has given me several such moments. The writers somehow manage to put words into the actors' mouths that the actors are able to say in such a way as to hit the heartstrings at just the right vibration to trigger an auto-response.

Most recently, this happened as I was watching Season 11, Episode 5 with the new Doctor played by Jodie Whittaker. After a series of frenetic incidents in which the Doctor, her companions and the passengers of a failing space ship try to outwit a deadly alien species, the episode ends with a prayer for the general who gives her life to pilot the ship to safety after it has lost control and appears destined to crash. 

The prayer is begun by the general's aide, an android. The Doctor and all her companions KNOW the blessing and respond. This was the first tug on my heartstrings.

Then in the closing scene, one of the ship's staff tells the Doctor, “Light in dark times.” The Doctor responds with, “People prevail. Hope always prevails.” 

"Hope always prevails." I think this is what touched me so deeply that tears began flowing spontaneously. This short little blessing was a beacon of hope. This idea that times can be dark and scary, yet, we keep going, keep hoping, keep looking for that Light that leads us through the darkness. What a message!  One, I feel, we all need to keep in our consciousness, today.

I am not sure what inspired writer, Chris Chibnall, to put the words in quite this order, but I find them to be beautifully written. As an Interfaith/Inter-spiritual Minister, these words rang sweet and true. They sing of Hope.  They are a fitting blessing for the end of a life or the beginning of a new life journey.

May the saints of all the stars and constellations 
Bring you hope 
As they guide you 
Out of the dark and into the light 
On this voyage and the next 
And all the journeys still to come. 
For now, and evermore. 

And, so may it be...Blessings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post