Remembering Omar




In the early 70's, I was treated to dinner at Josef's Restaurant in Copley Square, Boston. Josef's was under the management of Locke-Ober's, another famous Boston eatery.  The fare included New England favorites but also culinary delights from France, Germany and beyond. I had Vichyssoise for the first time that evening. But, this is not the story I want to share...

On April 10, Google memorialized the actor Omar Sharif, best known for his portrayal of Dr. Zhivago. The minute I saw the Google Doodle, my mind flew to that night at Josef's.
My supervisors were taking me out for a special treat to celebrate the work I did with young children and my upcoming graduation from Baystate College (at the time known as Baystate Junior College for Women). I was dressed in my very best mini dress with hair coifed to perfection. As we entered the restaurant, I was telling a story in my usual hands-flaying-in-air-not-paying-attention way. 

Without breaking stride, I plowed into another client on his way out of the restaurant, losing my balance. Two strong hands reached for my shoulders, keeping me from falling on my backside. I tilted my head up to look into the most amazingly huge, dark-chocolate, twinkling eyes. "Are you alright, my dear?" the man asked in a deep, foreign accent full of genuine concern.  

Gathering my composure, I smiled back and said, "Yes, thank you. Please pardon me."

"Of course, my dear," he said as he and his entourage left the restaurant.
As the maître d seated us, I kept trying to place where I knew this man from. While I was slowly coming back to my senses, I noticed that my two very sophisticated and worldly supervisors (one was a New Yorker, the other from Cambridge) were all aflutter. "That was Omar Sharif...that was Omar Sharif!" they kept repeating as if caught in some kind of cosmic loop.
"Omar Sharif!" I thought, "That's where I saw him before! He's Dr. Zhivago!" 

Apparently, my thinking was done in a stage whisper! My supervisors began to laugh. I realized that I had said the words aloud. Blushing, I busied myself with my napkin.  The rest of the evening was a blur of laughter and delicious food. 
Funny how something as simple as a Google Doodle can fire up memories from long ago. I may not remember all of what I ate that night, but what I will never forget was literally bumping into Omar Sharif and being rescued from falling unceremoniously on my bottom! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post