Contemplative Gardening


Spring has arrived at our corner of the world full of all the delights of verdant awakenings.  For the first time in weeks, I feel calm and balanced. Why?  I spent most of the afternoon in the garden.

Gardening is a contemplative practice. Like meditation, gardening empties the mind, allowing the gardener to open to Nature. When I garden, I get into the zone so completely that several hours will pass, and I will feel like I have only been outside for a short time.  The thing the really amazes me is that while my body will be tired, my mind is at rest. Honestly, I feel like I just woke from 10 hours of solid REM sleep.

Interestingly, I just read an article on "forest bathing" or shinrin-yoku. According to scientists, being outside with the trees and Nature is super beneficial to our health. Gardening has the same effet on us.

You can learn more at:

Shinrin-Yoku
Contemplative Gardening

May the rebirth of Nature bring you peace and balance.  Blessings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post