International Women's Day

 Women's International League USA - 1922
National Photo Company [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons  

Greetings, Women of the World! Today is our day!
 
Well, at least that is what it says on the calendar. So, in celebration of women everywhere, I thought I would share some poems, mine and others, on women.

This first poem was written several years ago in praise of a dear friend, who loves in such a way that everyone feels as if they are her best friend.

HANNAH’S VALENTINE

Everyday is Valentine’s
For those within her world.
Like her colonial red door
with it’s heart shape window -
Shining,
Her heart is open -
Always.
Inside her kitchen’s
Filled with warmth
And recipes to nourish -
Body and soul -
A pinch of love,
A dash of joy,
Heaping cups of hugs!

Everyday is Valentine’s -
Hannah makes it so!
 
©1991 LMRN

This poem, my mother read to me as a little girl. The poet captures the life of many women in such a few lines.

FIRST FIG
    by Edna St. Vincent Millay
 
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light!

In this poem, I remember my mother and grandmother. My Mom died four years ago - I miss her very much. I never knew my grandmother; she died when my Mom was just a teen. Yet, through my Mom's stories, I came to know here as we all come to know amazing women from the past.

GRANDMA
 
Grandma was short like Mommy
with blue-black hair
cut pixie style
and wild green eyes
that you could never forget
because they twinkled so!
She laughed a lot -
told funny stories from old Ireland -
Mommy would laugh, too,
as she told me
the crazy things they did…

Funny, she left this world
long before I came - but,
Mommy’s words
paint a Grandma
to hold
deep within my heart.

 ©1983 LMRN

Finally, I want to share with you a poem from one of my favorite poets, Dr. Maya Angelou.  You will have to visit another site to read the poem, but it is worth the effort.  When I first read, Still I Rise, I cried.  I wanted to hand this poem to every woman I knew.  I wanted to paste it to every billboard, telephone pole and read it on every radio/TV show.  (Read STILL I RISE)

Namasté!
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post