Islamic Art: Mirror of the Invisible World

This past week, I had the honor of previewing a  new documentary - Islamic Art: Mirror of the Invisible World - narrated by Susan Sarandon which will be broadcast nationally on PBS Friday, July 6th at 9 PM EST.  What struck me, immediately, was the beauty of the works of art being discussed, not to mention that these works of art span 14 centuries through nine countries.  Intense blues transported me into the heavens, as intricate patterns caught my eye, reminding me of the geometry of lace. Every design, from a simple flower to an elaborate scene had meaning and symbolism.




As a viewer, I felt as if I was on a journey into the past, watching as ancestors from another time and place created art and architecture that not only served a purpose, but also reminded those using the items or entering the buildings of their connection to the Almighty.  I was captivated by how the Islamic artisans of the past skillfully incorporated Holy texts along with the name of God into their work, making them part of their overall design.

Unity Productions Foundation, which "works for peace through the media,"  has given the world a breathtaking documentary that will not only educate non-Muslims as to how artisans today have been informed by Islamic art and architecture, but will also bring to light the rich and textured past of Islamic art that morphed and changed as Muslims traveled throughout the world, yet continued to have core elements that remained.

I highly recommend watching this informative, awe-inspiring documentary.  Islamic Art: Mirror of the Invisible World, part of the multi-week PBS Arts Summer Festival, is a combination of history, art appreciation and comparative religion all rolled into one.  Producers, Michael Wolfe and Alex Kronemer should be lauded for bringing this documentary to the world.

Join other viewers on Twitter at @islamicartfilm the evening of the premiere, July 6th, for a tweet chat using the hashtag #IslamicArt.

I hope you enjoy this film as much as I did.

Namasté!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you! I would have missed this beautiful show if not for seeing it here!
It's on my calendar now!
Saw this with my family, yesterday. What a wonderful film! Kronemer and Wolfe are poets of film. Seeing the details of the art on a large screen (I reviewed the film on my computer) was even more breathtaking!

Thank you to all at Unity Productions for bringing the world such a lovely tribute to Islamic art!

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post