Don't Regret What I Did For Love


Back in the 70's, I learned about the musical, A Chorus Line. It received the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1976. The one song that touched me then, and still hits my heartstrings is "What I Did For Love," mainly because it says that no matter what, when it comes to Love, never regret. Love is more powerful than that; Love has more understanding, forgiveness, and acceptance.

I find myself humming the words to this song from time to time. It is like a subconscious reminder that if Love is at the center of what I do, then there are no regrets, even when things fail to materialize, as I would like them; even when relationships fall apart. If I lived my life centered in Love then there are no regrets. Love is always there, always remembered, and always ready to hold us up.

Of course, it
is sometimes like whispering sweet nothings into the ears of a manikin getting folks to understand that this is not the sickly-sweet-gooey-greeting card love that appears in the movies and between the glossy pages of various magazines . The Love I speak of is the kind that transforms. It is a Love that can change lives, and worlds.

St. Valentine's Day comes this week. It is not one of my favorite holidays. For me, creating one day a year to recognize those we love is ludicrous! Love is, to steal a saying from the corporate world, 24/7. You can't turn it off and on like a faucet. Love, the unconditional kind that we are all supposed to be striving for, is bigger than that.

So, in the words of the song, "Kiss today goodbye, the sweetness and the sorrow...I can't regret what I did for love...Look, my eyes are dry! The gift was ours to borrow...I won't forget what I did for love...Love is never gone. As we travel on, Love's what we'll remember...we did what we had to do. Won't forget, can't regret what I did for Love!"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post