Healing, Positive Energy and the Written Word

Many years ago, I learned that writing was essential to my well-being. If I wrote down my thoughts, dreams, plans, fantasies, I felt "good."

Today, I received my subscription to "O" magazine. It is one of two magazines I get monthly...The Sun is the other. In this issue of "O," is an ad for a new resource for people with fibromyalgia.

Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition with many confusing symptoms. The one common link is that all people with fibromyalgia have pain. This pain can get so debilitating, that the person cannot function normally. Simple tasks like putting on clothes or walking across the room become impossible.

As one who struggles daily with this condition, I have found certain things that truly help keep the pain to a minimum. What a delight it was to check out the link to fibrocenter.com and find that what I had discovered for myself is now being affirmed by doctors and other healthcare practitioners!

For instance, I know that if I wear bright colors, eat fresh fruits and veggies, and rest during the day, I feel better and have less pain. Conversely, if I eat junk food, stay in my grubbies, and push myself to the nth degree, my pain level escalates and I cannot think clearly, let alone do anything well.

Those who have fibromyalgia often feel isolated and ashamed. I know I did/still do from time to time. On the outside, you can look great, but on the inside the pain is unbearable. It took me years to realize that I was not going crazy. The pain is not psychosomatic! It is real! It was hard for me to understand this ten plus years ago, when I finally got to the point that my body just would not work any more.

Gratefully, I had a doctor who diagnosed the cause as well as gave me support in finding the best course of action for me. This is important...what might work for one person, does not necessarily work for someone else. Of course, one of the things that worked for me was to write. I wrote about the pain. I wrote about the good things happening in my life. And, I wrote about my dreams.

FIBROMYALGIA

"Insidious"
Their medical term for what has stolen so much of her health.
Cause?
A virus or infection as a young child...
Measles, mumps, chickenpox, whooping cough, everything but
Tetanus and polio, she endured at the tender age of six.
If that year out of her life wasn't enough,
This monster still awakens, crawls out from under the bed and grabs hold of her
When she least expects.

"Try and control your stress level," the wise and omnipotent doctor counsels
Like the man in Oz.
"Get back to basics," she reads in one of the newer tomes on the subject.

After forty-six years of hide and seek with this fiendish syndrome,
At least now, there is a name...
At least now, she knows she's not crazy
When out of the blue she can't move, can't sleep,
Can't laugh her way out of the pain
That slams her down on the bed
Causing yet another rampant infection
Raping her vital organs.
At least now, she can stare the monster in the eyes and
Tell it to go to hell!

LMRN
© 2006

Fibromyalgia is literally a pain, but it does not have to rule your life. Keeping a positive attitude, finding a supportive doctor, talking to others, knowing your limitations, and being your own best advocate can all be instrumental in having a fulfilling life.

The contents of this blog are copy written. The conditions of use are:
Users may print or download excerpts of reasonable quantity for personal, non-commercial use. No re-distribution or publication in any manner is permitted without the express consent of copyright holder. For further information and/or permission, please contact author Linda M. Rhinehart Neas at llascell@gmail.com. Thank you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post