For Love


People often ask why I teach, or write, or minister. The answer is always the same...Love. I teach for the love of sharing knowledge with others. I write for the love of words and how placing them in just the right position can paint a picture in someone's mind. I minister for the love of being of service to others.

This past month, I have been participating in the 30 Poems in November! Challenge. The poems I have written have been dedicated and inspired by those I teach and for whom the money raised will benefit. I have not reached my goal, yet. I still have hope.

The money from 30 Poems goes to the programs and needs of Center for New Americans (CNA), a non-profit agency with sites in four Western Massachusetts cities. CNA helps immigrants and refugees learn English as well as assists in finding jobs, housing, citizenship and a host of other needs.

Center for New Americans runs its daily operations on grants, donations and volunteers. Fundraising is essential to our success. 30 Poems in November! is a way to promote literacy as well as raise the much needed funds to keep CNA a viable part of the community.

I love my work at CNA. (How many people can really say that?) The joy of seeing my students grasp the complicated and often mind-boggling intricacies of the English language is deeply satisfying. Each day is new and exciting. In addition, my students teach me more that they will ever know. Furthermore, I am the granddaughter of immigrants. For me, this work is a way to honor those who came before.

I leave you, today, with one of my poems and a request. If you have not considered donating to 30 Poems in November, please think about giving. All donations are tax deductible.


Click on "Donate Now." You will see two choices. If you want to donate online, make sure you click on the radial button before that choice, then scroll down to make the choice for Paypal or Visa/Mastercard. 

If you want to send a check, make it out to Center for New Americans, and put 30 Poems/Neas in the memo line so it will be counted towards my donations. Mail your check to Center for New Americans, 42 Gothic Street, Northampton, MA 01060

Education

The roles switch daily - 
teacher becomes student - 
lessons learned in magic moments 
when least expected - 
life lessons -
never to be forgotten 

One plus one equals two, 
until it equals three 
or four or more, 
but there is always enough - 

humans can overcome obstacles 
of great height, weight and dimension, 
when those they love 
are in need - 

family are those around you 
with whom you travel 
through the maze of now - 

desires never die, 
as long as you keep believing, 
keep moving forward, 
keep trying - 

then, 
your hand reaches out 
to help others gain a foothold 
until we all stand together - 
connected by understanding, 
hope and dreams come true. 

© 2017 Linda M. Rhinehart Neas  

#love, #education, #poems





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post