I'm with Her

Public Domain


Through the ages, poets have kept hope alive by fearlessly recording in verse the histories of people and events. They have put into words the pain and glory of cultures. Their words singing in the annals of time.

As a child, I learned more history from poetry than I did from history books. Something about a poem made the facts come alive for me. Verses from poems like Paul Revere's Ride and Old Ironsides stuck in my head.

For my children and my children's children, I write these words, inspired by signs I saw on January 21, 2017 at the Women's March in Washington, DC (and around the world):

I'M WITH HER

From the four winds, they called us
to rise from our sleep and comfort,
to rise from our work and pain.

Mother Liberty and Mother Justice called to us
to raise our voices against iniquity,
to raise our voices for freedom for all.

From the four directions, they called us
to come together, hand in hand,
to come together in peace.

Mother Justice called to us
to march for those oppressed,
to march for those without a voice.

From every continent, they called us
to lift up signs of protest,
to lift up signs of hope.

Mother Liberty called to us
to open our arms to our brothers and sisters,
to open our minds and hearts.

From every corner, they called us,
Liberty and Justice for all.
United we stand, divided we fall.

© 2017 Linda M. Rhinehart Neas 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post