Called to Serve

Photo Credit: Public Domain Image - Wikimedia

Forty-seven years ago, I made a very conscious decision to serve my brothers and sisters around the world.  For the longest time, I didn't know how this was going to happen, after all, I was a poor, inner-city kid. However, as in all things, when we stay open to possibility, Creator sends us the tools, the mentors and the means to do the work we are here to do.

For me, that work is partly creative (poet), partly sharing what I know (teacher) and partly serving in whatever way I can (minister).  

I am blessed to be able to reach out to so many with Words from the Heart. I always hope that what I write touches others in some way and eases their journey through life, or inspires them to be their best, or even open them to new possibilities.

Today, as we observe the legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I challenge my readers to do something of service.  You don't have to give or raise money; you don't even have to join an organization.  Simply do something for someone else out of kindness and respect.  Do it unexpectedly.  Do it without looking for recognition or praise.  Do it simply because it is the right thing to do. 

The blog - The Vedge has a great list that you can check out.  This is only one site, there are many, that have suggestions for how to serve others. Take a look.

Make MLK Day count for more than just another day off.  Serve...you can change the world! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Words as Balm - Words as Pain

Grandchildren Connections - Guest Post