Friday, March 8, 2013

International Women's Day

 Women's International League USA - 1922
National Photo Company [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons  

Greetings, Women of the World! Today is our day!
Well, at least that is what it says on the calendar. So, in celebration of women everywhere, I thought I would share some poems, mine and others, on women.

This first poem was written several years ago in praise of a dear friend, who loves in such a way that everyone feels as if they are her best friend.


Everyday is Valentine’s
For those within her world.
Like her colonial red door
with it’s heart shape window -
Her heart is open -
Inside her kitchen’s
Filled with warmth
And recipes to nourish -
Body and soul -
A pinch of love,
A dash of joy,
Heaping cups of hugs!

Everyday is Valentine’s -
Hannah makes it so!
©1991 LMRN

This poem, my mother read to me as a little girl. The poet captures the life of many women in such a few lines.

    by Edna St. Vincent Millay
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light!

In this poem, I remember my mother and grandmother. My Mom died four years ago - I miss her very much. I never knew my grandmother; she died when my Mom was just a teen. Yet, through my Mom's stories, I came to know here as we all come to know amazing women from the past.

Grandma was short like Mommy
with blue-black hair
cut pixie style
and wild green eyes
that you could never forget
because they twinkled so!
She laughed a lot -
told funny stories from old Ireland -
Mommy would laugh, too,
as she told me
the crazy things they did…

Funny, she left this world
long before I came - but,
Mommy’s words
paint a Grandma
to hold
deep within my heart.

 ©1983 LMRN

Finally, I want to share with you a poem from one of my favorite poets, Dr. Maya Angelou.  You will have to visit another site to read the poem, but it is worth the effort.  When I first read, Still I Rise, I cried.  I wanted to hand this poem to every woman I knew.  I wanted to paste it to every billboard, telephone pole and read it on every radio/TV show.  (Read STILL I RISE)

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: